The International Microsurgery Simulation Society was established by a group of microsurgery educators with the main goal being to promote excellence in microsurgery education and training worldwide.
The members of the society include both young and senior micro surgeons from around the world with representation of many of the known international microsurgery societies globally.
- The society will form as a charity registered in England and Wales at the Blizard Institute – Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
- All speakers in the Inaugural Meeting of 2012 and their parent organizations are founding members of the society.
- The society will meet annually as during the proceedings of the World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery WSRM (odd years) and the European Federation of Societies for Microsurgery EFSM (even years)
- Our next meeting will take place on the 21st April 2016 hosted by the 13th Congress of the European Federation of Societies of Microsurgery EFSM
- Articles of Associations and list of institutions and individuals membership will be circulated for revision and ratification in the IMSS fifth meeting in Antalya 2016.
- An educative website for members of the society will be built as a medium of sharing news, disseminating knowledge and facilitating the society’s function.
2012 Inaugural Meeting, London
The inaugural meeting of the society was held on June 30th 2012, at the Queen Mary, University of London Mile End Campus.
To all speakers and attending delegates, supervisors and contributors of the Inaugural Meeting we express our highest of gratitude for their contribution towards the establishment of this group of people concerned and focused on advancement of microsurgery training and education worldwide.
It is because of all your efforts that the meeting was a great success – not only in sharing such enlightening insights of ideas, methods and practices from near and far but also for the sense of purpose and life such a strong gathering has created. Thank you! Thank you!
2013 Meeting, New York
Columbia University’s Department of Orthopedics hosted the second annual International Microsurgery Simulation Society meeting in May. Fifty members traveled from 12 countries to convene at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, where they spent a day discussing key issues related to practice, training, and assessment.
By all accounts, the event was a great success, with effects that will ripple outward from the day-long meeting in Washington Heights.
Dr. Yelena Akelina, president of the society as well as an associate research scientist and associate director of CUMC’s Microsurgery Research and Training Lab, believes the work of the society can be used to assess and improve surgical skills.
“That translates to better patient care,” said Dr. Akelina. ”The better surgeons do, the better patients do.”
2014 Meeting, Naples
IMSS third annual meeting was held at the Centro di Biotecnologie, Antonio Cardarelli Hospital in Naples, Italy on the 24th May 2014.
Having just moved to its new larger and state of the art home, the Biotechnology Centre specializes in microsurgical training, transplantation of pancreatic islet cells, malignant hyperthermia research and many other fields of biomedicine. Their newly built headquarters has three floors of laboratories, operating theatres and classrooms.
The Napolitan hospitality was so overwhelming that all future IMSS training courses are to be held here.
Microvascular Anastomosis Simulation Hub, Barts and the London School of Medicine, London, UK
Department of Plastic Surgery, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
St Andrew’s Centre for Plastic Surgery and Burns, Chelmsford, UK
Biotechnology Centre, Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Turkish Society of Microsurgery, Turkey
Winter Haven Hospital, University of Florida, USA.