MSc/PGDip/PGCert Aesthetic Medicine
This innovative and challenging programme will provide clinicians with a solid foundation in aesthetic principles and safe practice within aesthetic medicine to enhance and advance their clinical practice. The qualification will demonstrate ongoing training and learning in the area of Aesthetic Medicine which is becoming increasingly important as the drive for better regulation of aesthetic practise continues. QMUL (Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry) has an excellent reputation in the area of Medical training and is well recognised internationally. Studying at QMUL will be a unique and enriching opportunity. Furthermore, this course run by the The Barts and the London’s Academic Plastic Surgery Group is based at The Centre for Cutaneous Research (CCR) at The Blizard Institute (BICMS). The CCR is composed of the academic unit of Dermatology and the Cancer Research UK Skin Tumour Laboratory, and is one of the largest cutaneous research centres in Europe. Hence this group has a strong academic and research background and will be able to provide strong support for students undertaking this programme.
- This programme will:
- Cover the entire area of non-invasive aesthetic surgery with an emphasis on the fundamental principles
- Provide detailed instruction on how to perform a range of surgical techniques
- Allow you to continue with full time work due to the flexible and online learning format
- Introduce you to regular discussion forums where you will discuss cases and topics at your convenience
- Provide you with audio-visual material to demonstrate cases and good practice
- Invite you to attend two optional hands on training workshops organised at Queen Mary covering principles of toxins, dermal fillers, skin care and peels. The training workshops are accredited by leading industry insurer and for continuous professional development
Specific topics in Aesthetic Medicine are covered in a total of eight modules via QMPlus teaching platform. This online learning environment provides the core modules. They comprise;
• Weekly written material about the subject complemented by clinical pictures
• Supplementary reading and a selection of relevant journal articles
• Quizzes- weekly summative assessment comprising a mixture of MCQs Student
• Café- this area of the site allows pictures and questions or messages to be posted for discussion within the group. The current students find this a useful way of interacting with other students
Each module will have one 1500 word essay to be completed and a weekly MCQ assessment to be submitted online.
An OSCE (Objective structured Clinical Examination) will be held at the end of each academic year.
• Cutaneous physiology, healing, scarring and ageing
• Hair biology and hair treatment
• Non-invasive techniques
• Laser and comouflage techniques
• Medicolegal practice and patient psychology
• Advanced techniques and combined treatments
• Regenerative and cell based applications
• Dissertation in Aesthetic Medicine (MSc Only)
The programme consists of a mixture of structured distance learning modules and online multimedia resources, in addition to its very popular live clinical teaching workshops. The programme covers non-invasive aesthetic medicine with an emphasis on safe and evidence based practice.
• Cutaneous Physiology, Wound Healing, Scarring and Ageing.
• Hair Biology, Medicolegal Practice, Psychology and Patient Selection.
• Skin Care Programmes, Fillers, Botulinum and Chemical Peels.
• Module 4: Laser and Camouflage Techniques.
Professor Simon Myers PhD FRCS (Plast)
Mr. Ali Ghanem MPhil MSc MD PhD MRCS
This programme is supported by a wide network of industrial, academic and scientific faculty of aesthetic physicians, practitioners and eminent aesthetic surgeons in Europe and the USA.
- Assessment will be modular and based on a combination of formative assessment by multiple choice exams and summative assessment by written assignments at the end of each module.